Anemia is a condition in which decreased amount of red blood cells (RBCs) or lowered ability of the cells to carry adequate oxygen to the body's tissues. Normal level of hemoglobin in adult females is between 12 to 16 g/dl while in adult males it is between 14 to 18 g/dl. When hemoglobin level falls below the minimum parameter, anemia ensues.
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling around eyes
- Paleness of skin, nails & eyes
As per Ayurveda anemia is caused by production of ama (toxins) in stomach which eventually blocks the channels of rasa dhatu. This results in paleness and other symptoms. Depending upon which particular dosha is vitiated,anemia is further classified.
- Deepana-Pachana therapy
- External treatments such as Abhyangam, Navarakizhi, Sirodhara,
- Panchakarma therapy such as Virechanam, Nasyam
Duration of Stay
3 to 4 weeks as per the condition
Outcome of the treatment depends on the underlying factors
Diet & Lifestyle advises
- Avoid heavy, spicy, fried food.
- Light meals, rice, lentils, soups, vegetables, fruits like pomegranate,grapes,dates,melons,cereals,nuts,green leafy vegetables, beans,pulses, dried fruit, egg,milk and milk products are particularly recommended.
- Problems like bleeding piles and excessive menstruation should be attended immediately as they often lead to anemia.
- Take one teaspoon of black sesame seeds, milk (1 cup), Honey or jaggery (1-2 tsp) and warm water. Soak sesame seeds in warm water for 2 hours. Grind it to get a paste. Strain and mix it with a cup of milk. Add honey or jaggery and mix well. Have this sesame flavored milk daily.