Menorrhagia is the menstruation at regular cycle intervals but with excessive flow & duration.
The causes menorrhagia are hormonal imbalance, dysfunction of the ovaries, uterine polyps or fibroids, adenomyosis, IUD’s, cancer of uterus/ ovaries/ cervix or certain medications.
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
- Heavy bleeding, needing to change sanitary pads every hour.
- Prolonged bleeding, lasting for more than 7 days
- Passing of blood clots with menstrual flow
- Tiredness & fatigue.
Ayurveda considers heavy menstrual bleeding as Asrigdara/ Raktapradara. Asrik, means blood & dara refers to excessive flow.
Due to unwholesome diet & habits, vata along with raktadhatu & pitta gets vitiated , which leads to heavy flow, with fatigue, backpain etc. asrigdara is of 4 types- vataja, pittaja, kaphaja & sannipathaja based on which the treatments can be adopted.
- Stambhana (blocking therapy) is the first line of treatment, as then treating the underlying cause.
- Sheetala upachara (cooling treatments & medicines)
- Sheetala annapana (cooling foods & drinks) are recommended. To arrest the bleeding ,the medicines that passify pitta, with kashaya rasa(astringent taste) are well advised.
The medicine & treatments are not only meant for stopping the bleeding, but also to balance pitta dosha & rakta dhatu.
2-3 weeks of treatments with regular & continued administration of medicines can help the condition.
Treatment modalities include virechanam, vasti, vaginal douches, vaginal tampoons (yoni pichu), avagaham etc.
- Avoid hot and spicy foods
- Avoid coffee and alcohol
- Low fat diets will be good
- High fibre diet is recommended
- Cakes, cookies & pastries should be avoided
- Avoidance of stress.
- Breathing exercises are adviced to calm the body.
- Avoid strenuous activities.