Back pain is one of the most common reasons people go to the doctor or miss work and a leading cause of disability worldwide. Most people have back pain at least once.
Pain felt in the lower or upper back, caused by injury, over stress or other diseases ,conditions affecting bony spine, discs between the vertebrae, ligaments around the spine and discs, spinal inflammation, inflammation of spinal cord and nerves, muscles, internal organs of pelvis, chest and abdomen.
- Muscle ache
- Shooting or stabbing pain
- Radiating pain to the legs
- Limited flexibility or range of movement of the back
Back Pain isknown as Kateegraham in Ayurveda, It is considered to be caused due to impaired digestion and aggravation of Vata. A faulty digestive system causes the buildup of toxins (ama) that combain with vata and accumulate in the minute channels of the body. Finally leads to the back ache.
The Ayurvedic treatment of Kateegraham consists of cleansing herbs that eliminate the toxic build up, followed by digestive herbs that restore proper digestion. Toning and demulcent herbs are also prescribed to nourish the nervous system and alleviate imbalanced body energies.
External Therapy such as Abhyangam, Podikkizhi ,Elakkizhi, Pizhichil, Nhavarakkizhi, Lepanam, Kateevasthy, Avagaham etc.
Panchakarma therapy such as Virechanam, Snehavasthy, Vaitharana vasthy, Kashaya vasthy.
Duration of stay
2 to 4 weeks according to the condition
Most acute back pain gets better with a few weeks of treatment.
- A large proportion of the diet must be carbohydrates, which facilitate proper movement of bowels, thereby bettering the body’s digestion.
- Green leafy vegetables should be incorporated in the diet as they provide fiber which improves digestion and elimination of wastes.
- Fruits such as bananas and apples are recommended.
- Heavy meals must be avoided as they take a long time to digest. This may exert undue pressure on the lower back region.
- Try light activity, such as walking and activities of daily living.
- Stop activity that increases pain, but don't avoid activity out of fear of pain
- While sleeping, lie straight on your back or with bent knees supported by a pillow.
- Continue your activities as much as you can tolerate.
Simple Home Remedies
- Apply a paste made of crushed garlic cloves and water to the affected part, or rub a cut clove directly onto the area.
- Eat 1-3 buds of fresh cloves daily.