Asthma is a common long term inflammatory disease of the airways of the lungs. It is characterized by variable and recurring symptoms, reversible airflow obstruction and bronchospasm. Chronic asthma can be a major problem that interferes with daily activities and may lead to a life-threatening attack.
- Chest pain
- Tightness in breathing
- Shortness of breath
Ayurveda regards Asthma as a disorder caused by impaired digestion. Aggravated Kapha accumulates in the airways, leading to their narrowing and obstruction. This causes an interruption in the flow of the air in the lungs, causing shortness of breath and difficulty in breathing. The vitiated 'Pranvayu' combines with deranged 'Kapha dosha’ and deposits ama (mucus) in the lungs causing obstruction in the 'Pranavaha srotas' (Respiratory passage). This results in gasping and labored breathing which is known as 'Swasa Roga'
Ayurvedic treatment of asthma focuses on restoring digestion with herbal preparations and the right diet and lifestyle changes.
- Abhyangam, Choorna pinda swedam,,Urovasthy.
- Rasayanam -chikitsa is also advocated in certain conditions.
Duration of Stay
3 to 4 weeks as per the condition
Asthma can be managed effectively in Ayurveda.
Diet & Lifestyle advises
- Pulses like wheat, barley, horse gram, green gram, can be taken.
- Honey, warm drinks like herbal teas, spice teas are good.
- Sprouts, nuts and seeds can be taken in moderate amount.
- White flour, white sugar products, heavy and oily foods like cheese, curd, butter, creams should be avoided. In addition, try to avoid the refrigerated foods.
- Avoid excessive or physically demanding exercise. Yoga and Pranayama can be helpful.
- Avoid excessive exposure to dust, smoke wind, cold bath or excessive heat, sun bath
- Avoid suppression of natural urges
- Avoid over eating. Take light dinner, 3-4 hours before going to bed.
- Avoid perfumes, incense sticks, mosquito repellents
- Drink boiled water in plenty
Simple Home Remedies
- Take ½ tablespoon of licorice and dried ginger powder (equal quantity) in 1 cup of water, boil it and drink afterwards for relief from asthma.