Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) patients suffer from excessive, unrealistic worry that lasts through six months or more; the issues could be health, money, career problems, or just about anything. The various biological, psychological, and social factors that may cause Anxiety Disorder include: Heredity, Brain chemistry, Personality and Life experiences.
- Sleep disturbances
- Dry mouth
- Feeling of panic, fear & uneasiness
- Cold or sweaty extremities
- Irritability and poor concentration.
Ayurveda, which takes a comprehensive view of an individual's physical, emotional and spiritual conditions, attributes anxiety disorder symptoms to aggravated prana vata, a subsidiary of vata dosha which is associated with worry, anxiety and depression. Prana vata weakens the nervous system and triggers mental imbalance. It also weakens the neuro-hormonal system and nerve impulses. Ayurvedic treatment of anxiety disorder would involve curbing aggravated prana vata and increasing sattva guna, which envisages a stable and peaceful mind through self-realization and self-control, and appropriate changes in diet and lifestyle.
- Ayurveda is known for philosophical basis, and its approach to psychological ailments is quite different from conventional system of management. Satvavajaya Chikitsa (Ayurvedic psychotherapy) is a nonpharmacological approach aimed at control of mind and restraining it from unwholesome objects or stress causing factors. It is a treatment by Self Control.
- Vata pacifying therapy such as Snehapanam, Abhyangam, Sirodhara, Sirovasthy, Nasyam, Snehavasthy, Kashayavasthy,Thalam, Thalapothichil.
- Meditation can play a major role in improving mental health and will help to cultivate a positive mentality.
Duration of Stay
3 to 4 weeks as per the condition.
Anxiety Disorder can be managed effectively.
Diet & Lifestyle advise
- Fresh fruits and vegetables, sprouts, nuts, dry fruits, honey, milk, ghee, fresh butter, and buttermilk are the best to increase Sattva and enrich the mind.
- Avoid use of black tea, coffee, white flour products, chocolates, white sugar products, deep fried foods, hot spices, meat, fish, and eggs. Such restrictions benefit in anxiety disorders.
- A relaxing massage, Foot massage and warm bath can make a good change in your anxious state of mind.
- Engage your mind in hobbies and relaxation.
- Breathing exercises: Mind has a very close relation with breathing. While you are under stress. Take a relaxed position and breathe deep using the abdomen muscles. Let the diaphragm expand while breathing in, and contract while breathing out. This will immediately relax you and reduce anxiety attacks.
- Meditation, relaxation techniques and Yoga postures are also recommended.
Simple Home Remedies
- Have 1 teaspoonful of licorice root powder with water empty stomach in the morning.