Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic inflammation of the spine and sacroiliac joints, which can cause some of the vertebrae to fuse together. This fusing makes the spine less flexible and can result in a hunched-forward posture. If ribs are affected, it may be difficult to breathe deeply. Although it can occur at any age, Ankylosing spondylitis most often strikes men in their teens and twenties.
Early signs and symptoms of Ankylosing spondylitis may include pain and stiffness in your lower back and hips, especially in the morning and after periods of inactivity. Over time, symptoms may worsen, improve or stop completely at irregular intervals.
The areas most commonly affected are:
- The joint between the base of your spine and your pelvis
- The vertebrae in your lower back
- The places where your tendons and ligaments attach to bones, mainly in your spine, but sometimes along the back of your heel
- The cartilage between your breastbone and ribs
- Your hip and shoulder joints
According to Ayurveda, Ankylosing spondylitis is caused due to aggravated vata dosha. This imbalance causes degeneration &inflammation of the spine and may even lead to disability in the long term. In this autoimmune disorder the disc between the vertebrae gets swollen up causing limitation of movement.
- Ayurvedic treatment aims at digesting the ama by giving herbs and balancing aggravated vata.
- External Therapy such as Lepanam, Pichu,Kati vasti, sarvangadhara and patrapinda svedana are beneficial in this disorder.
- Panchakarma Therapy such as Virechanam, Nasyam, Snehavasthy, Vaitharana vasthy,Kashayavasthy.
Duration of Stay
3 to 4 weeks as per the condition
Ankylosing spondylitis treatment is most successful during the initial stages before the disease causes irreversible damage to your joints.
Diet and Lifestyle advises
- Vatha and pitha pacifying food
- Include ghee in your diet.
- Take light foods and avoid excess oily foods and curds.
- Ensuring proper evacuation of bowels, constipation should be avoided
- Applying heat on affected areas will help to relieve pain and stiffness.
- Avoid sleeping during daytime
- Yoga asanas such as Pawana muktasana, Bhujangasana, Dhanurasana, Paschimottasana, are beneficial for this disease.
- Practice Pranayama such as Nadi shodhana, Chandrabhedi Sheethali & Bhramari.
Simple Home Remedies
- Chew 2-3 raw garlic buds on an empty stomach in the morning with water to alleviate lumbar pain in Ankylosing spondylitis.