Allergies are an overreaction of the body's immune system to specific substances that it misidentifies as harmful. This strong and abnormal response of the body to foreign substances is known as an allergic reaction and the substances that cause it are called allergens. Allergic reactions manifest themselves in the form of commonly seen skin and respiratory disorders such as eczema, hives, hay fever, asthma and food allergies.
- Itchy, red, watering eyes
- A raised, itchy, red rash over skin
- Sneezing and an itchy, runny or blocked nose
- Recurring headache
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach cramps
Ayurveda regards allergy as a disorder caused by impaired digestion, which is why preliminary symptoms may include indigestion, constipation or diarrhea. This dysfunction in the digestive process is the cause of the hypersensitivity to certain substances, such as dust and pollen that triggers the allergic attacks. Deposits of ama (toxins in the form of mucus) in the lungs and respiratory tract create obstruction in breathing and cause wheezing, coughing or sneezing.
Each time a person comes in contact with an allergen, the doshas are imbalanced, and toxins are released according to the imbalanced doshas, leading to specific symptoms.
Ayurvedic treatment of allergy focuses on pacifying the imbalanced dosha, restoring digestion with herbal preparations, and advising supporting diet and lifestyle changes. Ayurvedic tonics are also administered to build up the strength of the lungs.
- Abhyanga,choorna pinda swedam,Thalam
- Nalee swedam/ Bashpa swedam
- Rasayana therapy
Duration of Stay
2 to 3 weeks as per the condition
Treatment is mainly for boosting immune mechanism and to reduce hyper activity of immune system& to relieve symptoms.
Diet & Lifestyle advises
- Eat at least 2 hours before going to bed.
- Drinking warm water or herbal teas throughout the day is beneficial.
- Heavy foods including dairy products, fried foods, cold foods, rice, beans and legumes should be avoided.
- The use of spices, pickles and chilies in cooking should also be minimized Honey, nuts and seeds can be taken in moderate amount.
- Avoid excessive or physically demanding exercise.
- Yoga and breathing exercises (Pranayama) can be helpful.
Simple Home Remedies
- Mix turmeric (1 teaspoon) juice and honey (2 tablespoons) in a bowl. Consume a spoonful of this mixture regularly until the allergy has gone.