ARDS is a condition that prevents enough oxygen from getting to the lungs. It leads to low oxygen level in the blood. The condition results from sepsis, pneumonia, trauma, injuries, lung contusions, massive transfusion, drug overdose , acute pancreatitis etc.
- Shortness of breath
- Fast breathing
- Low blood pressure & fever – in ARDS resulted from sepsis
- Persons with pneumonia may have cough, chest pain etc.
- Hypoxemia(low oxygen levels in the blood)
- Rapid heart rate
According to Ayurveda, we can correlate this condition to shwasa roga/ Pranavaha sroto vikaram. It is due to the aggravation of both vata & kapha doshas.
The symptoms are fast & audible breath, cough, dryness of mouth, dyspnoea, etc.
IP treatments will be better in these kinds of diseases. Treatments are tailored according to the needs of each individual patient.
The general principle is to initially control the vata & kapha dosha, along with internal administration of medicines.
- Treatments includes, oleation(snehana) & fomentation(swedana) procedures both internally & externally.
- Panchakarma procedures like vamana (emesis) and virechana (purgation) are needful.
- Other treatments like naleeswedam, urovasthy, nasyam etc can do good.
- 2-3 weeks of treatments will be beneficial that helps with easiness of breath, lightness of chest & head.
- Avoid cold food items, refrigerated foods and carbonated drinks
- Avoid too much of salt & sodium in diet with causes water retention and effects the breathing
- Fried and fatty foods
- Avoid exposure to cold and wind.
- Dusty and smoky atmosphere should be avoided.
- Avoid strenuous exercises.