Acid Reflux or GERD
Acid Reflux or GERD (Gastro Oesophageal Reflux Disease) is a digestive disorder that is caused when the valve between the esophagus and stomach becomes weak. Normally, this valve opens to allow food in and then it shuts tightly. With GERD, the valve stays open, allowing stomach acids to flow back up into the esophagus, causing heartburn and many other symptoms. It leads to a condition in which the liquid content of the stomach regurgitates (backs up or refluxes) which results in the mucosal damage.
- Heart burn
- Pain while swallowing food
- Water brash
- Chest pain
- Head ache
According to Ayurveda Acid Reflux or GERD is a result of aggravation of pitta dosha. Intake of hot spicy food and foods of incompatible nature vitiates all the doshas, predominantly and this leads to acidity.
- Snehapanam , Abhyangam, Virechanam, Lepanam, Sirodhara
- Internal administration of medicines with modification in diet habits and lifestyle will help this condition.
Duration of Stay
The treatments for 2 to 3 weeks will be needed for an effective management.
Acid Reflux can be cured completely.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Avoid tea, coffee, and carbonated or alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid processed and fermented foods.
- Avoid using garlic, ginger, onions, tomatoes, and vinegar in cooking.
- Also avoid rich gravies, sour, salty, and spicy foods.
- Curd should be strictly avoided.
- Take meals in a relaxed atmosphere at regular intervals.
- Do exercise regularly.
- Try to finish your dinner by 7.30 pm and instead of taking three big meals, take 4-6 smaller portions
- Avoid physical activities just after eating
- Raise the head end of your bed or sleep on extra pillows so that your head is higher than your feet
- Avoid mental stress & worries
- Practice Yoga (Vajrasana, Bhujangasana, Salabhasana) and Pranayama (Bhastrika Pranayama, Shitali Pranayama and Shitkari Pranayama)
Simple Home Remedies
- Mix together equal parts of powdered fennel, licorice root, basil leaves, and coriander seeds. Have ½ teaspoon of this mixture with ½ teaspoon of powdered rock candy 15 minutes before lunch and dinner.